Common Household Items that Can Cause a Fire
Fire safety experts say you need to be careful with these common household items:
You never want to smell smoke in your home and realize there’s a fire. That’s why it is important to be diligent about fire safety. Experts recommend that homeowners be especially careful with the following common household items:
Portable heaters. Never leave one in a room unattended. Make sure paper and other combustible materials are well away from these units.
Electronics chargers. We all want our computers, tablets and smartphones to charge quickly. The price we pay for that convenience is chargers that pull in a lot of power, making them very hot. Keep them away from combustible material, as well as other wiring.
Smoking materials. Be careful with cigarettes, pipes, cigars and other such items. Bedding and upholstery, which burn slowly and dangerously, are the source of 75% of smoking-related fires.
Candles. Never leave candles unattended for any reason. If you must leave the room, extinguish them.
Flammable liquids. These can include paints, thinners and some brands of cleaning products. Read labels carefully and follow the safety instructions.
To paraphrase a famous expression: An ounce of prevention is worth not having to deal with a house fire.